Good news! The world is getting better, 2012 was the best year yet! I can hear the counter-arguments already. As difficult as it might be to believe if you switched on the average news channel (or ever used the internet!), the world continues to improve. The truth however doesn’t sell papers, capture your attention or make you want to fight for a particular cause. Life on planet earth really has never been better. This is not to say we have arrived but to acknowledge we are heading in the right direction! Let us start the new year by celebrating all that we have achieved together. Here are some facts that might interest you.
- Over the past century child-mortality rates have dropped by 90 percent, while the human lifespan has doubled.
- Extreme poverty, those living on less than $1.25 a day, has fallen significantly in recent decades.
- Poverty in general has dropped more in the past 50 years than it did in the previous 500.
- Food production continues to increase, outstripping population growth.
- GDP per person has increased significantly over the past 20 years across much of the world.
- Despite fear-mongering the world is not about to come to a sudden stop, due to a lack of natural resources.
- The number of people killed in war has dramatically declined in the last few decades.
- Women have never been so empowered in our society.
- Mobile communication devices are transforming developing nations, increasing wealth.
- Slavery whilst still a problem has reduced dramatically. In the 19th Century 75% of the population were part of forced labour.
- World literacy continues to increase.
- At a global level, the gap between wealthy nations and poorer nations continues to close.
Take Hope! The world continues to improve, let’s pray 2013 tops 2012.
- According to this survey, Africa is the most positive about the state of our planet.